Monday, October 6, 2008

Fall Into Flavor




To play along with Linda's Fall Into Flavor, this is a different version of a breakfast casserole. My Grandma passed this recipe on to me, but I'm not sure where she got it. If you like hard-boiled eggs and cheese, you can't go wrong with this...it has LOTS of flavor and definitely not low-fat OR healthy eating. But it's mighty good! Now that the holidays are approaching, there are more opportunities to have breakfast and brunch get-togethers. (at least there are in my family)


SCALLOPED BACON & EGGS

1 cup onion, chopped
½ cup butter or margarine
½ cup flour
4 cups milk
1 # Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 ½ dozen hard cooked eggs, sliced
5 cups plain potato chips, crushed
1 ½ # bacon, fried & crumbled

1. Preheat oven to 325°.

2. In medium/large saucepan, cook onions in butter/margarine until tender and transparent. Blend in flour, milk & cheese to make a sauce. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until thick.

3. In a large casserole baking dish, make 2 layers in this order: eggs, sauce, chips, bacon.

4. Bake at 325° until hot through, about 30-45 min. Serves 15. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Diane Meyer said...

Why do love Velveeta? Is it even cheese? I don't know for sure, but I know I love it melted on anything. And the bacon makes it even better.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

My fam loves boiled eggs, so I think I would try this. I might plan it when the college kids are home on break. Thanks!

tammy said...

Oh, that looks yummy! I am going to try and think of a recipe to share. I love checking out new recipes. :)

Jerralea said...

Hmmm...that is sure a different casserole! I might give it a try for a brunch.