Monday, November 17, 2008
Fall Into Flavor
I know I've failed miserably on Fall Into Flavor recently, but it's really REALLY hard to post butter, sinful, deliciousness when I'm DESPARATELY trying to watch every calorie that goes into my mouth! HAHA!
So I thought today, I'd post a recipe I recently found while searching for spinach dishes.....and this one has 3 different cheeses in it (actually it has 4 if you want to count the Parm on top!), so though not low-fat, there is NO butter! :) This would be a fantastic addition to a Thanksgiving feast!!
Baked Spinach with Three Cheeses
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup grated Edam cheese
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 (10-ounce) packages ready-to-use fresh baby spinach
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350*C (175*C). Lightly butter a 12-inch oval gratin pan or an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
2. Mix onion, feta cheese, Edam cheese, blue cheese, dill, nutmeg, bread crumbs, egg yolk and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach and saute until wilted and juices evaporate, about 3 minutes. Transfer to strainer; drain well. Shake strainer up and down to remove as much liquid as possible.
4. Arrange spinach in prepared baking dish. It will make a thin layer. Top with onion mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
5. Heat broiler. Broil spinach, about 6 inches from broiler element, until cheese is golden brown on top, watching closely to prevent burning, about 2 minutes.
6. Serve warm or hot.